Thursday, May 21, 2009

Failure is an option - Idol non-winner strikes it big

The theory behind "American Idol" and similar shows is that you will select a stable of talented singers (or dancers, or rockstar love interests, or whatever) and winnow the stable down to one, who will be considered the best of the best and receive fame and fortune.

But sometimes the so-called "losers" end up doing quite well, thank you very much. I'm not completely familiar with later editions of "American Idol," but PopEater is, as is shown in this interview with American Idol loser Michael Johns:

What was going through your head when you were kicked off 'Idol' last year? "It was weird because I didn't know what to think until the next morning. It was unanimous across the board with people saying, 'You were robbed.' It made me feel really good. A lot of people were saying, 'You'll be fine. We can't wait to hear your record.' Seeing that, I was like, 'Wow, maybe I do have a chance after 'Idol.'"

But he had to work for it:

"A lot of people think that once you're on the show, everything comes flooding in, and you can sit around waiting for your phone to ring for a record deal. But it doesn't happen like that. That is the pitfall of 'Idol.' You have to hustle. I was really lucky that I had a career before [the show], so all those doors were still open for me."

More here.
blog comments powered by Disqus