Sunday, July 5, 2009

Empoprise-MU News - 5 July 2009

Empoprise-MU News


The news letter for Empoprise-MU - An Empoprises vertical information service for music news.



Welcome to Empoprise-MU News

It's been a few weeks since I've had an Empoprise-MU newsletter, and I apologize. If you have complaints or praise about this newsletter, or the blog itself, contact me via my gmail account empoprises.

Behind the Scenes

I briefly mentioned the appearance of "Ontario Emperor" on last.fm in this blog previously, and I am now proud to say that last.fm has now automatically identified similar artists to Ontario Emperor. My own experience shows that last.fm's algorithms can be somewhat flawed when they don't have a lot of data, since the most similar artist to me has been identified as Helen Sventitsky. While Helen and I do tend to use synthetic sounds, and while we both use social media services, the similarities pretty much end there, since most if not all of Helen's songs include vocals, and (most importantly) Helen has talent. Check out her last.fm page.

Special Features

Obviously the music world - and much of the rest of the world besides - is dominated by the news of the death of Michael Jackson. I had written about Michael Jackson before his death - for example, one June 17 post talked about the support people who were being engaged for his Wembley dates - but I obviously wrote more after his death. Not in a non-stop manner like some of the news services, but I did have a few mentions about Jackson - the initial reaction to his death, my answer to the question of when Jacko went wacko, a post on those who influenced Jackson (and others), and a tangential mention. Even I was unable to completely avoid the more circus-like moments of the last week, but my blogging didn't go as far as my tweeting.

a circus may get bumped for the #michaeljackson funeral. perhaps they can use the unicorn.

Somehow the need to bump the Ringling Brothers & Barnum and Bailey Circus to accommodate the Michael Jackson funeral seems fitting. I dread Tuesday.

Upcoming

I cover a lot of music in this blog, but this week I'll talk about some music from 1919. That's older than I am...
blog comments powered by Disqus