Wednesday, May 29, 2013

And if you thought buffalo in hovercraft were an inspired idea...

If you have followed my activities in the Empoprises Public Community on Google+, you know that I regard Depeche Mode's "Useless" video as one of the greatest works of art in the 20th century. (Take that, Orson Welles.) Surprisingly enough, I haven't officially blogged about the video in years. My last such post was this 2009 post, where, after watching this video, and U2's "One," and Frank Black's "Los Angeles," I was inspired.

Then, and only then, did I get an idea. Why not reshoot the "Useless" video, but instead of using the animal that is not a cow, why not use a buffalo? In a hovercraft?

But I am now compelled to confess that my idea truly is no good.

Because, you see, I have discovered an even better reshoot of the "Useless" video. Here it is:



For you young whippersnappers, I should explain that the two cartoon characters are Bob and Doug McKenzie, who had their greatest popularity in the 1980s, before one of the actors, Rick Moranis, proceeded to star in "Spaceballs," the greatest long-form movie of the 20th century. (Yeah, Orson Welles still loses out.)

And no, I haven't blogged about Bob and Doug before, but I did mention Father McKenzie in this post, so I guess it's kind of close.

blog comments powered by Disqus