Sunday, July 19, 2009

Empoprise-MU News - 19 July 2009

Empoprise-MU News


The news letter for Empoprise-MU - An Empoprises vertical information service for music news.



Welcome to Empoprise-MU News

Music soothes the savage beast. Ron Perlman recited poetry on a "Beauty and the Beast" TV show soundtrack. But that's beside the point, sort of.

Behind the Scenes

I've referred to my long-tail reduction and fattening-up project, but I haven't really explained what I'm doing to my last.fm library.

First, I took a look at all of the artists that I had only played once. Some of the artists were eliminated from my library altogether. For all of the rest, I made sure to play the artist a second time. Therefore, when my library is the way I want it to be, I have a bunch of artists with two plays, and exactly zero artists with just one play. Of course this goes out of balance from time to time, and then I have to revisit my one-play artists again.

In a perfect world, I would then move on to the two-play artists and bump them up to the three-play level, or can them altogether, in an attempt to shorten and fatten the tail still further.

The one advantage of this exercise is that I get to listen to a wide variety of music as I check out each of these minimal-play artists. I mean, you can't listen to "The Girl and the Robot" ALL of the time.

Special Features

Just a reminder that if you're on Facebook, be sure to fan the Facebook page for the Empoprise-MU blog. The fan page is at the http://www.facebook.com/pages/Empoprise-MU/213885425013 URL.

Upcoming

Old artists, old technologies - I'll try to throw something new into the mix.
blog comments powered by Disqus