Friday, January 23, 2009

I guess you can say Jermaine Dupri jumped, jumped

I took a day off of work on Thursday, and ended up hearing Kris Kross' "Jump" on my last.fm feed. After sharing this information, I ended up reading the Wikipedia article about the group.

Kris Kross, consisted of Atlanta natives: Chris "Mac Daddy" Kelly (born August 11, 1978), and Chris "Daddy Mac" Smith (born January 10, 1979). Childhood friends, Kelly and Smith were discovered in 1991, at the age of twelve, by Jermaine Dupri at an Atlanta shopping mall....

As of 2007, the group has reunited, currently working on different projects and still works for Jermaine Dupri.


Well, unbeknownst to me, Dupri had another job, as President of Island Records' Urban Music Division.

Notice that I said "had." By the time I was reminiscing about Daddy Mac and Mac Daddy, Dupri was out of a job.

(Jan. 9) - Jermaine Dupri was unceremoniously let go from Universal Music on Thursday. Dupri, who served as president of Island Records Urban Music division, basically collected a paycheck but didn't show up to work for several months.

Now we see what's wrong with the record industry. In my case, if I were head of a division and I didn't show up to work for a couple of weeks, I'd be out on the street. Dupri plays hooky for several MONTHS and collects a paycheck the whole time.

I guess they figured that RIAA lawsuits would bring in enough income to cover Dupri's salary.
blog comments powered by Disqus