Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The top and bottom of the top 100 list from 1971

Lists can be interesting, especially when the lists are very deep. Take Billboard's Top 100 list from 1971. If you look at the top 10 songs on that list, you'll see some outstanding songs from multiple genres.

1. Joy To The World, Three Dog Night
2. Maggie May/(Find A) Reason To Believe, Rod Stewart
3. It's Too Late/I Feel The Earth Move, Carole King
4. One Bad Apple, Osmonds
5. How Can You Mend A Broken Heart, Bee Gees
6. Indian Reservation, Raiders
7. Go Away Little Girl, Donny Osmond
8. Take Me Home, Country Roads, John Denver
9. Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me), Temptations
10. Knock Three Times, Dawn


But what if you look at the bottom of the list? Again, you'll see some outstanding songs from multiple genres.

91. I Am...I Said, Neil Diamond
92. Wedding Song (There Is Love), Paul Stookey
93. Don't Knock My Love, Pt. 1, Wilson Pickett
94. Love Her Madly, The Doors
95. Here Comes The Sun, Richie Havens
96. Sweet Mary, Wadsworth Mansion
97. Right On The Tip Of My Tongue, Brenda and The Tabulations
98. One Less Bell To Answer, Fifth Dimension
99. Riders On The Storm, The Doors
100. It's Impossible, Perry Como


The Doors and Perry Como. I love the 1970s.

And let me add ten of my favorites from the middle of the list:

23. Aint No Sunshine, Bill Withers
24. Signs, Five Man Electrical Band
31. My Sweet Lord/Isn't It A Pity, George Harrison
37. Rainy Days And Mondays, Carpenters
41. Rose Garden, Lynn Anderson
43. It Don't Come Easy, Ringo Starr
82. Lonely Days, Bee Gees
84. Won't Get Fooled Again, Who
88. I Woke Up In Love This Morning, Partridge Family
89. Theme From "Shaft", Isaac Hayes
blog comments powered by Disqus