Monday, January 12, 2009

Please keep to the padded cell

safety | studio | scared

When I heard about the National Safety Council's call to ban all cellular phone use in cars, I was immediately reminded of a Paul McCartney song.

Now bear in mind that I like Paul McCartney, think he's one of the greatest musicians of all time. And I'm probably one of the few people who loves his album McCartney II. But, let's face it, if you look at the lyrics of that album, McCartney is one sick puppy.

If you don't know which song I'm talking about, it's "Waterfalls." I've talked about it before in this blog (August 2008), in mrontemp (November 2007), and even in the Ontario Empoblog (November 2003). The song has lyrics that a National Safety Council lobbyist would love. Here are some of the verses (you'll recall that the chorus goes "And I need love" - I'm sure the National Safety Council has some warning about THAT):

Don't go jumping waterfalls,
Please, keep to the lake.
People who jump waterfalls,
Sometimes can make mistakes...

Don't go chasing polar bears
In the great unknown.
Some big friendly polar bear,
Might want to take you home...

Don't run after motor cars,
Please, stay on the side.
Someone's glossy motor car
Might take you for a ride.


After listening to this song, you get the feeling that Paul would prefer that Linda (who was still alive) remain in a padded cell, safe from any harm from anyone.
blog comments powered by Disqus