Monday, September 28, 2009

White Town, "Your Woman"


Over the weekend, last.fm served up a song that I hadn't in...well, since the last millennium - White Town's "Your Woman."

A few facts about the song from White Town's last.fm page:

[Jyoti Mishra is] often regarded as a one-hit wonder for [White Town's] 1997 song “Your Woman”, which sampled a 1930s song called “My Woman” by Al Bowlly, which was featured in the Dennis Potter drama Pennies From Heaven. This single was often known not by its name, but by the title of the EP it originally appeared on - “>Abort, Retry, Fail?_”

White Town continues to perform live, and Mishra blogs about it. Sample:

The gig started off a little bit unevenly - I was trying to tune my acoustic guitar with the tuner pedal but the disco was so loud, the tuner was trying to tune that. So, I tuned up, hit an E chord and… chaos! My god! I finally had to get the bewildered DJs to turn the music down completely and then managed to get it right. Tuning up is one of things you take for granted, it’s almost an irrelevancy. Until it fails and then you realise how utterly boned you are....

What made me beam was seeing people singing along with songs that weren’t ‘Your Woman.’ There was a lad right at the front and I swear he knew the lyrics to everything from ‘We’ll Always Have Paris’ to ‘Death In Kettering.’ That’s basically 19 years’ worth of White Town covered! How flattering is that?


But it sounds like Jyoti got into music for the same reason that many guys get into music.

I was also pleased because there were sooo many cute girls within my sight. If I’m singing to women, inevitably, I sing better.

Or at least he enjoys it more. And it probably helps him take his mind off "Your Woman," which Jyoti considers extremely depressing. With reason:

So cut the crap and tell me that we're through
Now, I know your heart, I know your mind
You don't even know you're being unkind...


And now it's time for the sing-along chorus!

Well, I guess what you say is true
I could never be the right kind of girl for you
I could never be your woman


Good stuff. Glad I heard it again. If you want to enrich my coffers, buy the song (and the album) from the link below.



(Picture source license)
blog comments powered by Disqus