Thursday, July 22, 2010

IMF and Ovation, revisited

After running across a mention of Dala in California (I blogged about this), I found myself listening to and watching the video of "Anywhere Under the Moon" over and over and over.



I first saw this video on Dish Network's IMF Channel, and as I watched the video, I remembered the day when IMF was no more. I didn't have the Empoprise-MU blog at the time, so I wrote about it in a post on mrontemp. Here's a brief snippet of how other people reacted to Ovation's purchase of IMF:

Son of a bitch. They replaced IMF with some crappy art channel called Ovation TV. For ***** sake.

In short, IMF fans were not happy. In the comments to my post, Vinny said:

Ahh!! IMF was the best channel to find out about new singers around the world. Ovation is boring. Right now a show called "How to Draw a Bunny" is on. And theyre showing how to draw a bunny. We need to stop this. IMF has to come back to channel 157! Now!

I responded:

If Veronica Maggio showed us how to draw a bunny, I'd tune in.

Well, it's been a couple of years, so I figured it was time to revisit Ovation and see where things stood. But before I did, I figured that I'd find that petition that Matt Dowski started:

To: Universal Music Group / Ovation

The International Music Feed was a television music channel that played music from around the world. It was the only channel in the US that focused on combining music from American artists with music from other countries across the globe. IMF maintained the increasingly rare format based very largely on playing music videos rather than other programming. IMF was on air from 2005 to 2008.

After its initial widespread removal, IMF was removed from the channel lineups of various smaller television providers over the course of February 2008. Finally, as of March 31, 2008 the station was no longer available.

We Would Like You to Bring Back IMF.

It had become part of everyones lives, in a world that preaches diversity and open mindedness IMF was one of the last things left that brought that to everyones lives through music.


66 people have signed the petition, and it turns out that there is a Facebook group devoted to the effort. I wasn't a member of Facebook in 2008, but I am now, so I joined.

Meanwhile, Ovation is still on Dish Network.

Ovation: The only network focused on art and personal creativity - showcases programming featuring the best of performance, people, art, music and film. From world renowned artists to everyday people, Ovation entertains, inspires and engages the artist in all of us. Move. Explore. Dream. Create. Ovation: Make Life Creative.

Here's Ovation's July 22 schedule:

AM

09:00
Waldbuhne 2007: Rhapsodies

11:00
Slings & Arrows: Madness in Great Ones

PM

12:00
Every Picture Tells a Story: Boy Bitten By a Lizard

12:30
Every Picture Tells a Story: Le Dejeuner Sur L'Herbe

01:00
Paul Potts: By Royal Command

02:00
Blue Note: A History of Modern Jazz

04:00
Every Picture Tells a Story: Boy Bitten By a Lizard

04:30
Every Picture Tells a Story: Le Dejeuner Sur L'Herbe

05:00
Paul Potts: By Royal Command

06:00
Blue Note: A History of Modern Jazz

08:00
Sweet and Lowdown

10:30
Sweet and Lowdown

11:00
Sweet and Lowdown

AM

01:00
Hollywoods Best Film Directors: Brett Ratner

01:30
Hollywoods Best Film Directors: Francis Ford Coppola

02:00
Blue Note: A History of Modern Jazz

04:00
Later...with Jools Holland: Ep. 31/3


Now if you want to watch music videos from all over the world...you're still out of luck. But the IMF fans are still passionate...this was written on June 2, 2010:

I need help identifying this song I heard on IMF a couple years ago (sucks it went off the air, fuse and Mtv suck) and i’ve no clue what the lyrics were or anything besides that in the video the singer was a blonde girl, and she was in a snowy setting, and that the sky or ceiling.. upper area, was purple-ish pink, I think it was from russia, but I can’t be sure, any help’s appreciated

If anyone knows the answer, post it here.
blog comments powered by Disqus