Monday, November 24, 2008

Bob's and Jon's views of the road

For some reason I had thought that Metallica's song "Turn the Page" was a cover of a Garth Brooks song.

As Jim Bakker would say, I was wrong. It's actually an old Bob Seger song. Songfacts:

This is about life on the road, and the rigors musicians face when they're touring. It presents the other side of fame which the public doesn't see, the loneliness and aggravation.

For a relatively recent performance of the song, view this.



Metallica's thematic and disturbing re-interpretation of the song can be found here.

But returning to the stories of musicians on the road, one musician visiting Detroit admitted that Seger's song inspired a later song of his.

Yeah, that one.

So, without further ado, an old Bon Jovi video for "Wanted Dead or Alive."



And, by the way, there's a CNN-related story about this song. It turns out that CNN displayed the caption "EXPERTS AGREE: AL QUEDA LEADER IS DEAD OR ALIVE." The original screen shot has been deleted from the tubes, but it was seen by Estephania and myself.

I walk these streets, a loaded six string on my back
I play for keeps, 'cause I'm not coming back
I been everywhere, and I'm standing tall
I've seen a million faces an I'm rockin' on
I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride
I'm wanted (wanted) dead or alive


P.S. While I'm on the theme, I should mention a song for which I couldn't find an artist video - "The Road" by Jackson Browne. Another classic.

Now I need to go back and listen to Bon Jovi - again...
blog comments powered by Disqus