Monday, June 15, 2009

Röyksopp featuring Robyn, "The Girl and the Robot"



Robot in Love Vector by Spacedust Design used under a Creative Commons License


So last.fm is serving up songs, and this one comes up. And I'm blown away, especially by the chord progressions. And I'm not the only one; Mark Pytlik wrote this in Pitchfork back in March:

"The Girl and the Robot" is a frigid, winding bit of electro that combines a powerhouse vocal with some slippery chord changes and one of the biggest choruses of 2009 so far.

And that chorus is as follows:

In the night call you up and
Wanna know when you're coming home
Don't deny me call me back
I'm so alone


While I've found the official video on YouTube, I'm actually more impressed with this live performance from the Norwegian TV show Senkveld:



In case you're not familiar with Senkveld, here's how Wikipedia describes it:

Senkveld med Thomas og Harald (også kjent som Senkveld) er et norsk talkshow som har gått på TV2 siden 12. september 2003. Serien går på fredager og hver gang inviteres flere kjente gjester innen kultur, politikk og sport. Programledere i serien har helt siden starten vært Thomas Numme og Harald Rønneberg.

Hope that helps. At least Robyn sang in English.

I've also listened to some of the remixes. My favorites are the Joakim Remix (which stays true to the original song, but expands it and fills it in) and the Kris Menace Remix (which bears little relation to the original song, but is beautiful).
blog comments powered by Disqus