Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Belated follow-up (Al Bowlly's "My Woman")

OK, so I guess I'm not that talented a journalist.

On September 28, 2009, I wrote a post dedicated to White Town's song "Your Woman." The post included some information on White Town and Jyoti Mishra, and even resulted in a comment from Jyoti Mishra...although it's conceivable that the comment might have been made by ANOTHER Jyoti Mishra.

The post even included a link to White Town's last.fm page, which then (and now) notes that the White Town song "Your Woman"

sampled a 1930s song called “My Woman” by Al Bowlly, which was featured in the Dennis Potter drama Pennies From Heaven.

Yet despite all this, I didn't make an effort at the time to seek out the aforementioned song. But in a whole deja vu all over again kind of way, I found a video that included a chunk of "My Woman" by Lew Stone and the Monseigneur Band, with vocals by Bowlly.



The song itself was originally released by Bing Crosby in 1932, with lyrics by Crosby and music by Irving Wallman and Max Wartell. I don't know who the trumpet player was on Lew Stone's version of the song, but as of 1933 the trumpet players were Nat Gonella and Alfie Noakes.

As for Bowlly, he has his own website and MySpace page, despite the fact that he died in 1941. Lew Stone survived several decades longer, dying in 1969.
blog comments powered by Disqus