Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Will Billy Corgan - I mean Smashing Pumpkins - win the authenticity war?

Stereogum reproduces a post from Billy Corgan regarding the future of his one-man band, Smashing Pumpkins (see my previous post). This is (part of) what he said:

I'm going to step right into the heat of the matter now and address the infamous 'why?' question. The why being 'why' I have chosen to continue on under the Smashing Pumpkins banner considering I am the only remaining original member? The simple answer is that when I decided to write and record again under the name The Smashing Pumpkins in 2005, I committed myself 100 pct. 100pct of my mind-body-soul to come back and make the band really be great again, and I feel in tune to SP in a way I haven't felt in tune probably since 1995 or 1996. As they say in No Limit Poker, I'm 'all in'. I'm not going to back out of the challenge in front of me now. I'm absolutely exhilarated by what I see and feel the future to be for SP. There is a difference in how I think and approach a body of work for the Pumpkins then say I would as a solo artist or under any other name. Being the near lone songwriter for the Pumpkins has always made me want to put all the diverse harmonic fragments in my mind together, and it has been an incredible musical journey so far to keep trying to match up to the size of that idea. I truly am not focused on where I've been now as much as where I am going, and I haven't felt that way for a very long time.

More here, although it should be noted that Stereogum may have been expressing its editorial opinion of the move when they published a picture of Corgan with noted musician Tila Tequila.
blog comments powered by Disqus